Monday, December 8, 2008

Of Mathematics and equations

From my childhood, if there is one subject I have dreaded and loved equally, it has gotta be Mathematics. I m sure many of us fall in the same bracket as I do. In my schooling probably I spent a fair bit of my time in the maths special class(specially for the math illiterates). Somehow it seemed to be one subject that wasn't made for me. The lovely affair between maths and me still continues.....
Hey, but there were bits when I felt maths was good too. Specially in the Geometry classes when I had to explore my all important Geometry Box. There was a fun factor filled using the compass, divider, protractor and the 2 triangles(I forgot in what they are called). At least there were somethings which we did not have to prove. Math was all about proving and disproving. There were questions which said

(sinx) / (1+cosx) = tan(x/2) prove LHS=RHS

My answer always would be : "how the hell am I suppose to know." It has been years and I still fail to understand why it is important. What am I going to achieve by proving that LHS=RHS.
To add to my woes, there came "Probability". It is defined as the chance of an event happening!!!!
lol
All i could do while I learnt this subject was gape in awe at the magnitude of what we were doing. At times I asked a few professors, "Sir, why do we do this, Give me a practical example where such abstract sciences has really been of help in making Business Decisions." Surprisingly, I did get some replies and to be honest they were 'as ridiculous as ridiculous can be'.
If there was ever a paper that I have comfortably completed before the bell goes off, it has always been Maths paper. That paper had been too simple for my complex brain. Often my answers lasted a few lines irrespective of how many marks they carried.
Years went by, governments came and fell, the economy went from boom to depression, 22 years went by, but my dreadful romance with mathematics continues(rather rages on).
Hopefully my Mathematics teachers don't read this post............I will be the one student they will be proud of........

No comments: