Monday, December 15, 2008

The art of 'Slang'ing


We all love our slang, don't we? I had once traveled west and in my conversations with the taxi driver, I discovered how is still there for me to learn! We were discussing Kebabs and he suddenly said, "Aap kya Khaate? bade ka ya chote ka? I was taken aback, not knowing how to respond. Weather to accept my ignorance or fake knowledge. I did the wise thing, I asked him "ye bada-chota kya hai". He then explained that by Bada he meant Cow meat and Chota meant Goat meat. Huh! safe I clarified. Had I chosen an option I would have had either of those animals for dinner that day. (clarification: I don't eat either of those animals)

Hey, but that was only the tip of the iceberg. There is such progress in these slangs that it is difficult to catch up. We generally use the terminology 'lol' quite frequently. Some of the people whom I have interacted with have no clue what it is. When that happens all I end up doing is share some GYAN(wow impact, that was a slang). The Slang has progressed to such an extent that today there are slang dictionaries and encyclopedia. Wonder whats in them.

let me try to decipher a few of them:

Fitting- Complain behind one's back (usage- yen amma, FITTING it bittiya?)
Ticket- In the death bed (usage- Looks like he might take the TICKET anytime now)
Gyan- explain something boring(usage- now he'll start giving GYAN about himself)
ROTFL- Rolling on the floor laughing( good one! ROTFL!)
Ganga Jal- Alchohol (usage- join us for some late evening GANGA JAL)

There are many more things which are way too complicated, for more GYAN log on to Google and search SLANG in any language you want. You will find a million pages!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Narayana: big eater... glutton maybe