Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Mumbai: lessons learnt and soon forgotten


In the wake of the recent mumbai blasts, there were many viewpoints put forward by the citizens of India. While many asked for a rejig of the political system, many wanted us, the citizens, to be more proactive. I was one of them. After the incident, I am not irritated by the constant check that I face in many places. I respect the neighbourhood policemen more than ever before. I believe that if the state of the nation has to change, it has to start from us. 

I was today driving in the Jayanagar area of Bangalore. At a particular traffic junction, the red light was on,and while I promptly stopped my vehichle, I saw another vehichle moving ahead. A very practicle example of what I am talking about. We want a change but are not ready to make the change ourselves. We just talk the talk, never walk the talk. 

I was very proud the way the country came forward to show their solidarity today. I was proud the way people were united for one cause. I was proud the way we came forward from various walks of life. I was proud the way we answered fanatics like Raj thakrey that while Mumbai bled, the whole of the nation was with them. It wasn't a cliched candlelight walk which is forgotten the very next day. While on most occasions we have seen that, we are all fired up the first day and the lessons are forgotten the next day. I hope that doesn't happen this time. 

Very strangely, i came across a few pakistani news channels, which, instead of mending fences were trying to worsen the situation. There were reports that the attacks, like 9/11 was a handiwork of the Indian intelligence. This was very sad considering the situation which India was facing. Whie I have nothing against pakistan, I believe it is time they mature, and mature as Journalists, statesmen, world citizens, and most importantly as Human beings. 

While a war of words has alredy risen between the two countries, there is a very good chance that this is going to get outrightly dirty.  And for all we know Pakistan is going to be on the receiving end. Both countries are in the midst of an economic turmoil and the last thing they want is a war. Its time diplomacy takes over and better sense prevails in the region. While I say that, it is also very important that Pakistan takes stringent action aginst the terror camps operating in Pakistan or else there is every chance India could knock the daylights off that country. Then all we may know of Pakistan may be from the HISTORY books. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

UNCLE SAM will play a pivotal role in this episode,(Let's look into the future for a min)because they know PAKISTAN will give shelter to all the extremists and UNCLE SAM is wasting all its resources (funding the military of PAKISTAN,their own defence expenditure),and the terrorists will take control in PAKISTAN with the help of ISI,so in order to attack the militants they need INDIA's support in the future,that's why so much of empathy towards India from UNCLE SAM.On the eastern border our neighbor CHINA are worried about the growing presence of INDIA in the WORLD and SOUTH EAST ASIA ,the diplomatic words are already out from CHINA who are of the view that the terrorists are from India and not from PAKISTAN,and PAKISTAN are over the moon as they have support from CHINA,BANGLADESH(I think we have showed a lot of patience towards Bangladesh),so for the present,its going to be"INDIA AND ITS TROUBLED NEIGHBORS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!